Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Last day in Barcelona

Today is Tuesday and we leave for Madrid in the morning. I am a little sad to leave such a beautiful city, but I am excited to see the place my sister has called home for the past nine months. Anyway, we have to get up very early to catch our train, so I'm going to TRY to keep this post short.

Waking up was very difficult this morning due to the excess noise outside my window last night and the warm-ness of my room. We ate a quick breakfast and headed out to the historic district of Barcelona called Barri Gótic. It is filled with beautiful old buildings and peaceful courtyards with fountains and Christopher Columbus statues. We stopped in a couple of camera stores, a bakery (bakeries are super cheap here. I love it!), and a couple various souvenir shops. Eventually, we made it to the waterfront and I saw the Mediterranean Sea for the first time! We walked around the port a ways and found the beach, where we quickly found a nice restaurant with a view of the Mediterranean and got a bite to eat. We ordered what has become the family favorite, Patatas Bravas, which is fried potatoes covered in salsa brava, a spicy tomato sauce. Yum! I ordered fried calamari (my favorite food, besides ice cream) and green peppers, which were both divine. After lunch, we put our feet in the water (brrrr) and walked back to the port to tour the Barcelona Maritime Museum. It was very interesting and filled with a lot of nautical facts, but I think I was ready for a nap at that time... Then, we got some coffee, and shopped on the most popular tourist street in Barcelona.


One of the things that I enjoy most about Spain is the way the day is set up. Instead of eating lunch at noon and dinner at 6:00, they like to spread their eating out a little bit. Usually, they have coffee around 11:00, eat lunch at 2:00, and have dinner as late as 9:00. I love eating and coffee, so this is perfect for me.

After some shopping, we found a nice little restaurant on a side street in the Barri Gótic called Q Bar. The variety of food on the menu was incredible. It was made up of traditional dishes from Spain and Peru. The cook was from Peru, and he was extremely talented. Plus, the service was amazing, a very rare thing for restaurants in Spain. We all ate more than our fair share tonight.

I miss my friends more than words can express, but I am so so thankful for the opportunity to be here and spend this time in this beautiful country with my family. Love you all!

¡Adios!

Aden and Jorge

No comments:

Post a Comment